Sunday 15 July 2012

To blog or not to blog?

...Well several friends are at it, so maybe I should put a toe in the water. I'm a book collector, a knitter, a quondam bookseller, writer, and librarian [does one ever stop being a librarian? I still get asked the way to places, even when I'm hundreds of miles from home ... my sister-in-law, also retired librarian, reckons we have a big rubber stamp on our foreheads, invisible to ourselves and our friends, that glows bright red when approached by a stranger, saying 'REFERENCE LIBRARIAN - ASK HERE!']
So I'm sitting at my keyboard thinking of all the things I should be doing, and not actully doing any of them because I've been inveigled into this blogging lark, and looking at the knitting I've just started - the third thing I've tried to make with this wool - which is actually beginning to look like something I might want to wear, whereas the previous attempts with it were just - wrong!

diamond jumper - the first attempt
The first attempt - in the round, with diamond pattern
[that attracted me to the pattern in the first place] nearly complete.



I had got about as much length again as shown in the picture of attempt #1 done before I saw a mistake - I was knitting in the round, but turning at the underarm 'seam' - and I'd taken it on the train,  so had obviously started again in the wrong direction without realising it. So I put it away for a year or two while I did some other stuff, and after 4 rabbits and 5 elephants and one cardigan of a sort either side of these [pictures later] I came back to this and decided as I had to pull it back anyway, I'd try something else with the yarn. So for attempt #2, I found this really pretty pattern of a jumper, shown in cream, and as I hadn't done much in the way of lace, I thought I'd give it a go. And it was successful, in that I didn't make a mess of the lace-work. But I didn't even try and photograph it - it just didn't look RIGHT! So that was 2 things unpicked. Then the new month's knitting mag arrived, and there was an intriguing pattern, so I'm about 4cm into attempt #3 ... I'll keep you posted! 

2 comments:

  1. It's so annoying when you knit something and it just isn't right and then you have to decide whether to try again or just give it away.... Which knitting mag are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, deleted previous post as there were mistakes, and there doesn't seem to be any means of editing once you've posted...
      To answer your question, the mag is Simply Knitting - I wasn't sure whether to publicise it or not - didn't want the blog to sound like a eulogy - or a sponsored thing! - but I've been taking it for about 3 years now, and whilst there are things I'd never make, I have found some splendid stuff in it.

      Delete